Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Technology

This blog isn't about the weather (I know, surprising!), but I couldn't pass up posting this picture from the University of Utah webcam. This is mostly to make those who are freezing in Wisconsin (and elsewhere) be grateful that at least they're breathing clean air. Usually, you would be able to see the Oquirrh mountains and maybe even a shimmering line of the Great Salt Lake from this view. Those little lines you see through the yellow is the Salt Lake City skyline, which is about two miles away. Yuck!



Anyway, I promised this wouldn't be about the weather, so onto better things.

I've been thinking lately about technology. This is probably because of the fact that I've had a technology explosion in my life lately. In November, I got a laptop to replace my desktop at work. For Christmas, I got an IPod. This month, I finally gave up on my desktop at home and bought a laptop, with a wireless router. My sister got an IPhone for her birthday and gave me her "old" cellphone (one with a keyboard), and today I got rid of my pager at work and got...wait for it...a cellphone

Right now, I'm sitting on the couch, writing this on my new laptop, listening to my new Ipod, and I have both my personal and my work cellphones on the table next to me...just in case.

Makes me wonder if I've gone a little too far....

...Nah.

A couple of people were surprised that I got a laptop when I'd just gotten one from work. After all, why would I need two?

Before I bought my personal laptop, I would do my personal stuff on my personal desktop. The desktop I bought when I graduated from college. Eight years ago. Eight computer years. That's what, three hundred in human years?

In general, I just dealt with the quirks of my ancient computer. I mean, a new computer isn't something that you just go out and buy on a whim. Well, it isn't for me, anyway.

But it was to the point that I would never shut down the poor thing, because when I'd turn it back on, it took about six months to boot up. If I got on the internet, I had to be sure that I didn't close any of the windows I was working in, or it would shut down everything.

And then I got an IPod.

When I discovered that I couldn't download I-Tunes on my aged companion, I decided I needed to put my poor old friend down. It was just inhumane...or intechnane...to continue to make it work.

I reworked my budget and bought a laptop two weeks later. Goodbye, old friend.

Funeral services will be held Saturday, January 24th at 10:00am.

3 comments:

  1. Seriously? Funeral Sevices?

    What are you really doing with your computer? Remember when we trashed dad's old one? I don't remember if you were there for that but it was fun. It involved hammers and a bathtub.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want, I can borrow a gun and we can put your old computer out of it's misery that way....Or we could drop it off some building and watch it explode into pieces. Really, what do you do with an old computer once it has passed its prime? That webcam picture takes me back to my days in California....aaaww, nothing like air you can chew!!

    ReplyDelete