Sunday, January 25, 2009

Addiction

As I stated in my first blog, I recently got over my blogging aversion and started, well, this blog. Now I'm addicted. I go through possible posts in my head as I get ready for the day, I mention my blog to everyone I know (and some I don't know), and I notice little things during the day that I could maybe write about (most of which I forget by the time I get home). Definitely addicted.

I know Christina, you told me so.

In thinking about this recent addiction, I started to consider other addictions I've dealt with in my life. No, I'm not addicted to alcohol or drugs or cigarettes. But I do tend to get addicted to things. Blogging, scrapbooking, certain books and movies, computer games.

I was analyzing my behavior as I dried my hair this morning. I have often avoided getting involved in certain things for the ostensible reason that I don't like to do what the crowd is doing. The first time I heard about Harry Potter, I didn't want to read it because everyone was reading it. I tell people that it's because I like to be different, I don't like getting caught up in the craze. But in my self-analysis this morning, I admitted to myself that the real reason is because I know instinctively that I'm going to get addicted. I didn't avoid Harry Potter because I didn't want to be a follower. I avoided it because I knew I would become a crazy fan.

I first heard about Harry Potter when the fourth book came out (I'd been out of the country when it had started to become popular). There was a story on the news about people who stood in line for hours, waiting for midnight to strike so that they could buy the book. I thought it was pretty cool, considering that's something that people do for a movie, not for a book. But I also thought 'I'm not going to read those until they all come out and the craze is over.'

Turns out this was a self-preservation instinct. When I ignored the instinct and gave in, I actually took the book to work and read it under my desk because I had to find out what happened. I agonized over the amount of time left before the next one would be published, and I saw the first movie the day it came out. I read them several times, and I was one of those waiting for midnight when the fifth, sixth and seventh books came out. I got into arguments about what was going to happen and I discussed Harry Potter every chance I got. I was addicted.

The pattern repeated itself recently with the Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer. I distinctly remember finishing Eclipse and immediately starting the whole series over again. I was up until midnight yet again when Breaking Dawn came out (well, later than that, cause then I was reading it), and I'm not going to admit how many times I've seen the movie. Again - addicted.

Of course, I'm doing better now. I no longer dream either about vampires or about Voldemort. I can go weeks at a time without arguing whether Bella should have ended up with Jacob or with Edward (as if there's any contest...Jacob drives me crazy). I don't discuss apparent discrepancies in Harry Potter with anyone who would listen. I haven't actually read a Harry Potter book for several months, and it's been a while since I've read any of the Twilight books. These things usually fade with time.

So I guess I can't really call it an addiction. Apparently, despite all my attempts to the contrary, I'm obsessed.

7 comments:

  1. I can totally relate. Kulani and I are both bloggers, and we are constantly talking about blog-worthy things that happened that day. I've learned great things about my husband from his blog posts that I wouldn't have otherwise learned. You're a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol nice, oh and btw, Bella so should have ended up with Jacob! not obssesing... not obsessing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didn't mention Star Wars, West Wing, Charmed . . . We kinda get into these together. I think we are a bad influence on each other.

    Oh, and I told you so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point - I knew there were plenty of others, but I didn't want to scare people too much. :)

    Thank, Cindy. :)

    Oh, and Baxter - you're smoking something. Jacob is a jerk...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they both should have dumped Bella and found someone more, oh, I don't know, less irksome. Less high maintenance. Edawrd sould have taken a chunk out of her with in the first two books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and your brother must be related!!!! You both need ot post more!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I happen to think that Edward is a little controlling she needed to end up with Jacob not her daughter! YUCK!!!!

    ReplyDelete