Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Music

I love music.

I thought about that today as I drove home from work with my CD player blasting in my car. It's good stuff. Music can change the mood of anything in seconds. I saw a special on TV once where they showed a part of the movie "Jaws" without music and then the same part with music. Not so suspenseful without the music. In fact, it was pretty hokey. Whoa! Big fish! You're gonna need a bigger boat.

Yeah, doesn't really work without John Williams in the background.

My brother used to quiz me in the car when we were listening to the radio. "Who's this?" he would ask every time a new song came on. I dreaded that question. I was usually wrong...when I could actually venture a guess without embarrassing myself too badly. I still don't know most of them, unless they're a song I really like. Then I have about a 50/50 chance of getting it right.

Here's the thing, though. I get songs stuck in my head like crazy. There is always a song in my head. And it's not always a song I like. Not fun at all. I'm pretty sure a person could go certifiably insane because they can't get a song out of their head. This is why I tend to be testy when someone starts singing one of "those" songs. You know, the ones that stick in EVERYONE's heads. Such as the "Song That Never Ends" or "It's a Small World" or...well, I actually don't want to think about any others. I could end up in an insane asylum.

This is also why I tend to listen to more ...uh, shall we say appropriate?... music on Saturdays. Because I know it'll stick with me through Sunday. Nothing like sitting through church with Coldplay in your head.

This is a serious condition. I now have the "Song That Never Ends" in my head. Call the men in the white jackets.

5 comments:

  1. I have to say my kids and I all sympathize with the guessing who this is game. Yes we all suck!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You all need to practice your guessing games more - c'mon!!

    You know, I realized a few years ago that not everyone has this problem to the same extent. I was going to the MTC as a teacher with a college roommate and he had regular music from the radio playing. I asked him how he could listen to that and not have it in his head while he was teaching the missionaries. He looked at me like I was crazy. (no comments please)

    And now I have just one thing left to say...





    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, waiting at the end of every day...

    Mhua ha ha ha (evil laugh)!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so mean!! Although, now the song is stuck in your head as well, so I guess you've already been punished...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's worse is Brian always played the guessing game with lousy 80s music. I understand you were in your 20s during the 80s, Brian, but get over it. The music wasn't that good!

    I don't even know what song Brian is talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a grammatical error in your posting - lousy and 80s music don't go together...

    Of course you don't know, you could never play either!! :-)

    ReplyDelete